Purchase a Flour Share to receive California-grown wheat that’s freshly-milled into flour each month. There are three shares based on location:
- SoCal Flour Share: pick-up in Pasadena or San Diego REGISTRATION CLOSED
- Power Flour Share: mail delivery to California residents REGISTRATION CLOSED
- Sonoma Grain Share: pick-up in Sebastopol or Petaluma REGISTRATION CLOSED
To purchase a Share, GO TO THIS WEBSITE.
SoCal Flour Share
Southern Californians! Grist and Toll and Farmer Mai are proud to pilot an offer of a steady source of California-grown and -milled flour every month. Share members will receive 10 or 5 pounds of the two luxurious heirloom grains Chiddam Blanc de Mars and Wit Wolkoring on an alternating basis each month Feb 2021 – Jul 2021. 10 pounds is like two loaves of bread and tiny mountain of cookies each week. Consider splitting a share with a neighbor!
These flours will be only available for pick-up at Grist and Toll in Pasadena and Home Ec in San Diego. Both sites have robust COVID-19 safety protocols, and curbside pick-up is available at Grist and Toll. Shares will be available beginning the third Thursday of each month, until Saturday at Grist and Toll and Sunday at Home Ec.
The Flour Share has tiered pricing at levels A, B, and C. We designed this tiered price structure knowing that our grain community can support each other. The number of A shares available are contingent on number of C shares purchased.
- A shares are priced such that people experiencing budget constraints can still participate. $350 per share.
- B shares carry the standard share price that ensures farmer and miller are compensated for their quality work. $450 per share.
- C shares: by participating at this level, you are going a step beyond, paying the fair share as well as helping to sponsor A shares. $550 per share.
- Half shares will receive 5 lbs instead of 10 lbs each month.
Sign-up deadline is Feb 1, 2021 and there are a limited number of shares for this pilot, so place your order here!
You’ll be asked for a shipping address, but we will not ship to you. We will use your shipping address to determine your pick-up site and confirm with you. If your address doesn’t obviously align with a site (I see you, Irvine), please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate which site your prefer.
Power Flour Share
Creating a California wheat flour economy based on ecology, fair compensation, nutrition, and quality requires effort and investment. We’ve experienced disruptions to our food, particularly grain, supply and have seen the urgent need to have food security and sovereignty. There’s a great deal of work left to make ethical and ecological grain easily and abundantly available.
The ever supportive grain community has continually asked Mai and Nan (Grist and Toll) how the community can share in their work of producing healthier crops and whole grain foods in a more meaningful way. The Power Flour Share is our first effort at putting something tangible in place to do just that–a way for you to enjoy our achievements thus far and to help us build a robust regional grain economy.
We are piloting a flour share that includes rare wheat selected from over a decade of trials for what thrives right here in our special coastal climate and grown using ecological practices. Then, they’re stone-milled into distinctive, flavorful flour incomparable to anything you’ve ever eaten.
Your contribution to the share gives us a fair price for our efforts AND financial support to acquire the equipment we need to save, store, and process these regionally-adapted, climate-resilient, rare wheat seeds for farm and food. Specifically, this next phase of collaboration will depend greatly on our ability to raise funds for cleaning, storing and transportation needs.
How it works
20 shares are available in this pilot Share. The Share price is $600 and will take place February 2021 – July 2021 wherein members will:
- Receive 10 lbs of a single variety of freshly milled whole wheat flour once a month
- Wheat varieties include heirloom varieties of hard red and soft white wheat, all grown by me
- Some varieties will be exclusively available in this share, not in retail or other shares
- Be able to get their share
- At Grist and Toll or Home Ec on the third Thursday-Saturday of every month (You’ll be asked for a shipping address, but we will not ship to you. We’ll use your shipping address to determine your pick-up site and confirm with you. If your address doesn’t obviously align with a site (I see you, Irvine), please email me at email@example.com and indicate which site your prefer), OR
- By mail (additional $150.00 shipping fee to cover all 6 deliveries; California addresses only)
- Be invited to meet Farmer Mai and Miller Nan once a month in a virtual setting to learn about building a California whole wheat ecosystem and other nerdy details
Sign-up by February 1, 2021. Or how about now?
Sonoma Grain Share
Finally, Sonoma-grown and -milled flour!
And you can tell the difference. These wheats were selected from over a decade of trials for what thrives right here in our special coastal climate and grown using ecological practices. Then, they’re stone milled into distinctive, flavorful flour incomparable to anything you’ve ever eaten.
You’re invited to experience these unique flours through the inaugural Farmer Mai Grain Share. There are 20 spots available in this pilot Grain Share. Each Share price is $150 and will take place December 2020 through May 2021 wherein members can:
- Receive 5 lbs of a single variety of freshly milled whole wheat flour once a month
- 5 lbs = 4 loaves of bread and a lot of pancakes, or a small mountain of cookies
- Varieties may include: Chiddam Blanc de Mars, Wit Wolkoring, Sonora, Akmolinka
- Pick-up on the second Thursday of every month at
Please complete this registration form by Friday, Nov 20 at 8 PM. Shares will be filled in order of registration date. You will receive a confirmation email that will request payment by PayPal or Venmo. If payment ($150) is not received by Monday, November 23 at 8 PM your spot will be offered to a waitlisted applicant. Only one share per person/family.